Ages ago I bought a bag of soy wax flakes which I tossed in a drawer and forgot about. Well I've recently been bitten by the batik bug so I gathered up some supplies and tossed the soy wax into a electric skillet and spent a couple of days this week doing some experimenting.
I started with some cotton fabric that I had pre-soaked in a soda ash solution and let dry overnight. This first piece I did by dipping the rim of a glass in to the wax:
Then I remembered that a very good friend of mine gifted me a while ago this gorgeous wood stamp:
It's a large one - almost 6" across at the widest point. I love it and thought it would be perfect for batik so...
Then I decided to work with some silk. Here's my practice piece:
It take a bit of practice to get used to working with the Tjantings and as soon as we get another decent weather day around here I'll be back on the deck doing some more practicing with it. This last piece of silk I did with a paintbrush:
This is my favorite piece. I love how the dye seeped through the cracks of the wax. I really had fun creating these pieces and I can't wait to get back outside to do some more experimenting.
Online class update: The Creative Box Making for the Fiber Artist class starts tomorrow! Registration for the class is still open and will remain open through next Friday. All the details on this class can be found here.